How to use bmi calculator?
After you installed Bmi Calculator on your computer enter your weight and height into required fields and press "Calculate". You will got number that represents your Body Mass Index, or BMI.
- If your index is between 20-25 that is usually considered "good" zone, your body weight is good match for your height. Often, values slightly bellow 20 are also considered "normal", and sometimes bottom borderline is said to be 18.5. Please, before you quickly consider yourself athletic built and run out read the common unaccuracy mistakes that can happen with some body types and/or people that are into weight training.
- Starvation: less than 15
- Anoretic(n.)/Anorexic(adj.): less than 17.5
- Underweight: less than 18.5
- Ideal: from 18.5 to 25
- Overweight: from 25 to 30
- Obese: from 30 to 40
- Morbidly Obese: greater than 40
BMI calculator can not be used in same way to measure body mass index in childs. Basically you have to compare the results with childs of the same age to get more or less proper estimation.
is bmi calculator accurate ?
Yes and No. What BMI Calculator does not take into account is body types and activity level, especially for types of training that developes muscle mass. There are three main body types, endomorphic, ectomorphic and mesomorphic (read about somatotypes here). The bone weight, structure, natural level of muscle mass etc it all can vary greatly and if you clearly belong to one body type (like extremly slim with very light bones) the results given by BMI Calculator might not be so accurate.
Moreover, if you are training to develop muscle mass, like bodybuilders do the results given by BMI Calculator can be completely useless. BMI can not make difference between fat and muscle mass - a 300 pound heavy body builder with virtually no body fat will be given a "Obese" index by BMI Calculator which would be ridiculous. But, those are extreme examples that do not apply to majority of people. So fell free to use BMI Calculator (above all it is free) and if you like it and happen to have web site you are welcomed to link to us and tell your visitors about this tool.